What movies are you watching?
- Farmer John
- Misplaced My Sponge
- Posts: 6729
- Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 9:25 pm
Re: What movies are you watching?
Napoleon
Overall, I really liked this, but it’s kind of a mixed bag. Still not sure how I feel about Joaquin Phoenix’s performance. Right now I’m leaning towards “didn’t quite work for me”. I kind of wish they had just picked a lane and gone all in with the dark comedy.
The battle scenes were incredible. The military strategy was depicted very clearly and it was easy to follow what was going on, which is always appreciated. Thanks, Ridley.
Overall, I really liked this, but it’s kind of a mixed bag. Still not sure how I feel about Joaquin Phoenix’s performance. Right now I’m leaning towards “didn’t quite work for me”. I kind of wish they had just picked a lane and gone all in with the dark comedy.
The battle scenes were incredible. The military strategy was depicted very clearly and it was easy to follow what was going on, which is always appreciated. Thanks, Ridley.
-
tommy
- Rank This Poster
- Posts: 4456
- Joined: Sat August 05, 2023 11:13 pm
Re: What movies are you watching?
Rewatched The Long Good Friday this evening. What a fantastic movie. Great score and a killer lead performance from Bob Hoskins.
- Alex
- Misplaced My Sponge
- Posts: 5740
- Joined: Fri August 16, 2013 6:36 pm
Re: What movies are you watching?
Did you like the Supet Mario Bros (1993) movie?tommy wrote:Rewatched The Long Good Friday this evening. What a fantastic movie. Great score and a killer lead performance from Bob Hoskins.
Malloy wrote:making this place inhospitable to posting is really the only move left.
- BurtReynolds
- An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
- Posts: 46516
- Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
- Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
Re: What movies are you watching?
I thought I'd seen the Illusionist before, but I guess I havent. Bunch of Scooby-Doo bullshit. Not good.
RM's resident disinformation expert.
- tree_
- NEVER STOP JAMMING!
- Posts: 20391
- Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
- Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
- Contact:
Re: What movies are you watching?
Yeah that movie sucks hard. Crazy how many people like or love it.BurtReynolds wrote:I thought I'd seen the Illusionist before, but I guess I havent. Bunch of Scooby-Doo bullshit. Not good.
-
tommy
- Rank This Poster
- Posts: 4456
- Joined: Sat August 05, 2023 11:13 pm
Re: What movies are you watching?
tree_ wrote:Yeah that movie sucks hard. Crazy how many people like or love it.BurtReynolds wrote:I thought I'd seen the Illusionist before, but I guess I havent. Bunch of Scooby-Doo bullshit. Not good.
Is it better or worse than Now you see me?
- tree_
- NEVER STOP JAMMING!
- Posts: 20391
- Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
- Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
- Contact:
Re: What movies are you watching?
Haven't seen it, but I hear it's really bad tootommy wrote:tree_ wrote:Yeah that movie sucks hard. Crazy how many people like or love it.BurtReynolds wrote:I thought I'd seen the Illusionist before, but I guess I havent. Bunch of Scooby-Doo bullshit. Not good.
Is it better or worse than Now you see me?
-
tommy
- Rank This Poster
- Posts: 4456
- Joined: Sat August 05, 2023 11:13 pm
Re: What movies are you watching?
Is Ed Norton actually a good actor? He always seems to be making the exact same face. I liked him in Kingdom of Heaven (under a mask) but the last movie I saw him in was Red Dragon and he was awful.tree_ wrote:Haven't seen it, but I hear it's really bad tootommy wrote:tree_ wrote:Yeah that movie sucks hard. Crazy how many people like or love it.BurtReynolds wrote:I thought I'd seen the Illusionist before, but I guess I havent. Bunch of Scooby-Doo bullshit. Not good.
Is it better or worse than Now you see me?
Maybe he should stick to voice acting.
- tree_
- NEVER STOP JAMMING!
- Posts: 20391
- Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
- Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
- Contact:
Re: What movies are you watching?
I think he's very inconsistent. He displayed some fun, novel charm in the 90s in movies like American History X and Rounders. I tried watching that Motherless Brooklyn movie he wrote, directed and starred in several years ago, and "oof" is all I can say about that one. But he was good in like, what else, ... Birdman. I just think he kind of worn out his welcome and showed all he has to offer. He's about on par with Leo with his acting ability but doesn't have his looks or charisma.tommy wrote:Is Ed Norton actually a good actor? He always seems to be making the exact same face. I liked him in Kingdom of Heaven (under a mask) but the last movie I saw him in was Red Dragon and he was awful.tree_ wrote:Haven't seen it, but I hear it's really bad tootommy wrote:tree_ wrote:Yeah that movie sucks hard. Crazy how many people like or love it.BurtReynolds wrote:I thought I'd seen the Illusionist before, but I guess I havent. Bunch of Scooby-Doo bullshit. Not good.
Is it better or worse than Now you see me?
Maybe he should stick to voice acting.
Last edited by tree_ on Tue March 26, 2024 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
tommy
- Rank This Poster
- Posts: 4456
- Joined: Sat August 05, 2023 11:13 pm
Re: What movies are you watching?
Is Birdman worth a watch?
- tree_
- NEVER STOP JAMMING!
- Posts: 20391
- Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
- Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
- Contact:
Re: What movies are you watching?
oh yeah! you'll like it, though might find it a tad pretentioustommy wrote:Is Birdman worth a watch?
- tragabigzanda
- Production Police
- Posts: 51882
- Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Re: What movies are you watching?
Steve Albini wrote:Whenever there's active promotion on the part of somebody else, whenever I see somebody all dolled up for a fancy photograph and someone's handing out flyers or whenever there's active promotion for something like that, as an imposition on my day, I hate all those people and I want them to fail. I have a visceral reaction to advertising and promotion. There's just something about salesmanship that grates on me on a very base level and I react very negatively towards it. I want those people to suffer and I want their enterprises to fail.
Last edited by tragabigzanda on Fri January 09, 2026 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- tree_
- NEVER STOP JAMMING!
- Posts: 20391
- Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
- Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
- Contact:
Re: What movies are you watching?
- BurtReynolds
- An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
- Posts: 46516
- Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
- Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
Re: What movies are you watching?
Did you know that Edward Norton is insanely rich? He has like 300 million dollars.
RM's resident disinformation expert.
- epilogue
- We All We Got, We All We Need
- Posts: 85529
- Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
- Location: Ghorman
- Contact:
Re: What movies are you watching?
It's utter nonsense. Excepting the bit about Motherless Brooklyn which I haven't seen, but have no desire to see, and also the book sucks. But otherwise! Nonsense!tragabigzanda wrote:I think this is right on the money.tree_ wrote:I think he's very inconsistent. He displayed some fun, novel charm in the 90s in movies like American History X and Rounders. I tried watching that Motherless Brooklyn movie he wrote, directed and starred in several years ago, and "oof" is all I can say about that one. But he was good in like, what else, ... Birdman. I just think he kind of worn out his welcome and showed all he has to offer. He's about on par with Leo with his acting ability but doesn't have his looks or charisma.tommy wrote:Is Ed Norton actually a good actor? He always seems to be making the exact same face. I liked him in Kingdom of Heaven (under a mask) but the last movie I saw him in was Red Dragon and he was awful.tree_ wrote:Haven't seen it, but I hear it's really bad tootommy wrote:tree_ wrote:Yeah that movie sucks hard. Crazy how many people like or love it.BurtReynolds wrote:I thought I'd seen the Illusionist before, but I guess I havent. Bunch of Scooby-Doo bullshit. Not good.
Is it better or worse than Now you see me?
Maybe he should stick to voice acting.
- Anders
- NEVER STOP JAMMING!
- Posts: 23582
- Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/lowenan
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: What movies are you watching?
He’s a good actor. Had some great roles.
- Farmer John
- Misplaced My Sponge
- Posts: 6729
- Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 9:25 pm
- tragabigzanda
- Production Police
- Posts: 51882
- Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Re: What movies are you watching?
Steve Albini wrote:Whenever there's active promotion on the part of somebody else, whenever I see somebody all dolled up for a fancy photograph and someone's handing out flyers or whenever there's active promotion for something like that, as an imposition on my day, I hate all those people and I want them to fail. I have a visceral reaction to advertising and promotion. There's just something about salesmanship that grates on me on a very base level and I react very negatively towards it. I want those people to suffer and I want their enterprises to fail.
Last edited by tragabigzanda on Fri January 09, 2026 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
tommy
- Rank This Poster
- Posts: 4456
- Joined: Sat August 05, 2023 11:13 pm
Re: What movies are you watching?
tragabigzanda wrote:sorry, you're pro or anti Norton?epilogue wrote:It's utter nonsense. Excepting the bit about Motherless Brooklyn which I haven't seen, but have no desire to see, and also the book sucks. But otherwise! Nonsense!tragabigzanda wrote:I think this is right on the money.tree_ wrote:I think he's very inconsistent. He displayed some fun, novel charm in the 90s in movies like American History X and Rounders. I tried watching that Motherless Brooklyn movie he wrote, directed and starred in several years ago, and "oof" is all I can say about that one. But he was good in like, what else, ... Birdman. I just think he kind of worn out his welcome and showed all he has to offer. He's about on par with Leo with his acting ability but doesn't have his looks or charisma.tommy wrote:Is Ed Norton actually a good actor? He always seems to be making the exact same face. I liked him in Kingdom of Heaven (under a mask) but the last movie I saw him in was Red Dragon and he was awful.tree_ wrote:Haven't seen it, but I hear it's really bad tootommy wrote:tree_ wrote:Yeah that movie sucks hard. Crazy how many people like or love it.BurtReynolds wrote:I thought I'd seen the Illusionist before, but I guess I havent. Bunch of Scooby-Doo bullshit. Not good.
Is it better or worse than Now you see me?
Maybe he should stick to voice acting.
For my money, his best role is 25th Hour, but it's not like he stretched out in that role; I just think his resting state served the movie perfectly.
What's Barry Pepper's best role?
- tragabigzanda
- Production Police
- Posts: 51882
- Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Re: What movies are you watching?
Steve Albini wrote:Whenever there's active promotion on the part of somebody else, whenever I see somebody all dolled up for a fancy photograph and someone's handing out flyers or whenever there's active promotion for something like that, as an imposition on my day, I hate all those people and I want them to fail. I have a visceral reaction to advertising and promotion. There's just something about salesmanship that grates on me on a very base level and I react very negatively towards it. I want those people to suffer and I want their enterprises to fail.
Last edited by tragabigzanda on Fri January 09, 2026 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
